Sabra Dipping Hummus Recalled Due to Contamination
by Mollie Green
Who ever would have thought that the most common brand of hummus was contaminated with a dangerous substance?
The company of “Sabra Dipping” ‘s Twitter account and the Associated Press reported that Sabra Dipping recalled on Thursday about 30,000 cases of its classic brand of hummus due to concerns of listeria contamination.
The recall has to do with classic hummus tubs with May 11 and May 15 expiration dates, Sabra said on Twitter.
Anyone who bought one of the affected items should throw away the package, the Detroit Free Press reported. The Free Press also said customers also may return the hummus to the store they bought it to get a refund.
Senior Sarah McDonald said, “I can’t believe I saw that! I eat that hummus every so often and I was so shocked when they recalled it”.
Another senior here at Walkersville, Kiyan Sheraz said, “that hummus was so good, and now I’m scared to eat it honestly”.
Junior Mikaylah Collins said “hummus is a must for my diet and I love the Sabra brand. I guess I’ll just have to find another type of hummus”.
Listeria in Sabra hummus was found during a routine inspection at a Kroger supermarket in Port Huron, Michigan.
The samples of the hummus were tested and were found to have possibly contained listeria, which led the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development to alert officials at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
The good news is there have been no cases of anyone becoming infected after eating Sabra hummus.
If you’re wondering what Listeria is, it causes listeriosis, which is an infection where the symptoms are a fever, muscle aches, diarrhea and gas symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
If the infection spreads to the nervous system, it can cause headache, stiff neck, convulsions, loss of balance and confusion or changes in alertness, which is what the Mayo Clinic said.
Older people, pregnant women, newborns and adults with weakened immune systems are at the greatest risk for the infection. CDC says, about 260 people die from listeria every year and 1,600 become sick from the infection. The infection can be treated with antibiotics.
Check your hummus packages! You could be at risk for a harmful infection.